Rated by Niche as the #1 Best County to Live in Maryland, Howard County is frequently cited in national rankings for its affluence, quality of life and excellent schools. Located in the rolling hills of central Maryland, the county is known for its highly educated, diverse population and convenience to both Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. The area is a melding of old and new with small historic mill towns adjacent to thriving planned communities, such as the well-known city of Columbia. Howard County provides immediate access to leading educational and healthcare institutions, upscale retail and dining, and endless recreation and entertainment options.
Howard County is home to...
- Major planned community of Columbia, MD, designed in the 1960s to promote socioeconomic diversity and community inter-action, named in 2016 as the #1 Best Place to Live in the US by Money magazine
- Over 30,000 acres of parkland, 5 lakes, family-friendly farms and plenty of outdoor adventure
- A thriving cultural community with chic art galleries, award-winning theatre and crowd pleasing concerts
- Historical sites, mansions and museums from the Civil War era and beyond
- Top employers: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Verizon Wireless, Lorien Health Systems and Howard County General Hospital